Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My deployment playlist

Christina over at Married To A Sailor is at it again....contest time!  This one is all about deployment playlists...  I can't choose a favorite, but here, in no particular order, ar my top 5 songs, and why I listen to them OVER AND OVER when hubby is away....



"Wait For Me" by Theory of a Dead Man
This is the song that my OpLove photographer used to make a slideshow from our pre-deployment photoshoot.  Just listen to the lyrics, and TRY not to shed a tear!

"On My Watch" by Mike Corrado
Mike Corrado is a Marine, and served in Fallujah while my hubby was there for his first deployment (He was Major Corrado then, not sure what his current rank is).  This song by itself is very moving, and if you watch the video on YouTube you will see in the credits that the pictures were all provided by II MEF (2nd Marine Expeditionary Force) which included my hubby's old unit.....and my hubby is IN there, TWICE!  I watched this video through tears at least a dozen times during the second deployment before I even recognized my hubby in there!  If you like this one, check out Corrado's other work - my other faves are "Stand" and "Start Saving Me"

"Love Song" by The Cure
I listen to this song for a lot of reasons - number one, I am a pretty big fan of The Cure (I'm an 80's girl).  Early on in our relationship, hubby and I talked a lot about 'the meaning of love' and he kind of liked the way this song says it......he told me he had never been IN LOVE before, but he knew no one had ever made him feel the way I do. The next time we heard this song, he told me THIS is what he meant!  And then, if you listen to the lyrics, "However far away, I will always love you"....it's kind of the perfect deployment song.

"Somebody" by Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode is my favorite band of ALL TIME.  This song - the concert version - was playing the first time my honey told me he LOVES me...actually said the L word OUT LOUD.  It was a pretty big deal.  That was 13 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday!  Of course, I already knew by that point that I was going to marry him, but didn't want to scare him off, so I kept that information to myself for awhile.  :) Oh, and before I met my hubby, I had a mad crush on Martin Gore (the blonde from Depeche Mode - not the lead singer, but he sings this one, and all of the 'ballad' type songs they do).

"When You're Gone" by Avril Lavigne
This song is kind of a cliche deployment song, but the video makes me cry every time.  Especially the old widower!  More than anything, this one makes me think of all the reasons people have to be away from loved ones, and makes me so grateful that I get to look forward to my hubby coming HOME!


Now click HERE to go vote for me if you love my playlist!

4 comments:

Christina said...

"Wait For Me" by Theory of a Dead Man is one of my fav. songs of all time! It's at the top of my playlist as well.

"On My Watch" by Mike Corrado is such a good one! I have never heard it until tonight. Although, I think it's more for Marines, I think it's still for every branch. The lyrics: "Don't worry about me;I'll be all right
Just care for your children and sleep tight
I'll keep you safe
on my watch tonight"
Give me chills!

"Love Song" by The Cure, you just can't go wrong with.. Who doesn't like the cure?? The original is MUCH BETTER than the newer version by 311.

"Somebody" by Depeche Mode is a great wedding song in my opinion, never thought of it as a "while you're away" song, but it definitely works!

"When You're Gone" by Avril Lavigne is one of those I rarely listen to... but still love it. I don't listen to it much because I'm an overly emotional freak when it comes to music. I think about it and it hits home. Sometimes we all need a good cry though!

Great list! I have included you link on my blog for others. I really enjoy your list and I'm glad you entered!

Hannah said...

Great list!!! And congrats on the upcoming baby :) :)

Samantha said...

I love your playlist! Definitely some great songs!!!!!

Lynita said...

Hey I tried to vote, but not sure how?! Yeah and thanks for making me ball like a baby! I love you and promise to keep your blog private! ;)

Post a Comment!

Thanks for dropping in!


Template c/o Designs Etc.